1762? – 1814?
Union Street/ Welsh Street.
Shropshire Archives have Rental documents for the Earl of Powis c1770 to 1814, showing William Corick as the tenant of the Old Club in Welsh Street. The rent was 6 shillings, to be paid at Michaelmas each year.
A more lurid mention of ‘William Corick Innholder’ occurred in the records of the Quarter sessions, held in the Guild Hall in1762, where Elizabeth Stocking was found guilty of stealing from him ‘one figured flaxon tablecloth and ordered to be privately whipped this evening’. Possibly he was already tenant at the Old Club then. Over 50 years later the 1814 book still listed William Corick as tenant, but no rent was paid and William Corick (having died aged 72) was buried in Bishop’s Castle on 6th March 1815.
The 1809 Pew Sitters list has pew 9 nominated for the ‘Earl of Powis & Archdeacon Corbett for Old Club Inn and Basens Woodbatch’. This indicates that the Old Club was trading still then, but may only have continued while William Corick lived.
There have been two ‘clubs’: The Old Club & The New Club, both used as names for existing pubs. It is thought locally that this one was a ‘gentlemens’ club, situated in a back room and entered through a door in Union Street at the back of The Black Lion Inn in Welsh Street.
Alternatively the name could have had political connotations – during the Clive ascendancy there were strongly opposed local factions. During 1832, three more ‘clubs’ were formed: The Waring Club, The Robinson Club and The Union Society – all listed as Friendly Societies. Given that many burgesses lost the lucrative income from election bribes in that year, this might have been one response – to join a Society whose purpose was to encourage saving and help one another financially. See The Black Lion Inn
Research is continuing on this Pub. Do you have any information or pictures of any of the pubs of Bishop’s Castle? We’d love to hear from you. Contact us here.