The 3 Tuns Inn

c1642 – present

8 Salop Street.

The 3 Tuns is on the Arms of the Guild of Brewers and refers to the mash tun, the brewery vessel used to mix grains with water.

First licenced in 1642, the Three Tuns is listed in the Universal British Trade Directory 1791 as a principal inn in the town with John Griffiths, Butcher & Victualler as landlord. However, documents from 1717 mention the New Club in this part of the town and Rent Books for the Powis estate from before 1771 and up to 1788, record tenant Samual Watters and sub-tenant Mathew Reynolds of “The New Club“. In 1788, Samuel Griffiths, (tenant and sub-tenant Mathew Reynolds), and shortly after, John Griffiths, as main tenant and occupant of “a messuage called The Three Tuns, late The New Club“, a major name change which has lasted up to the present.

A short-lived tenant, Stephen Nelson, in 1880, left after two years to move to Liverpool for a better education for his children! We have learned this from a relative who contacted us at BCHRC whilst researching her family history.

The longest serving landlord was John Roberts and his sons, who owned the pub and brewery from 1891 to the 1970’s.

Together with possibly the oldest brewery in the UK, the 3 Tuns Inn has been a mainstay of the town over the centuries. The Inn & the associated John Roberts’ Brewing Co. Ltd are still operating successfully, producing and selling wonderful beers, one of which is appropriately named 1642.

Click here for their web site

Do you have any information or pictures of any of the pubs of Bishop’s Castle? We’d love to hear from you. Contact us here.

3 TUNS INN LANDLORDS

3 TUNS INN GRADE 2 LISTING DESCRIPTION

Open standalone map in fullscreen modeCreate QR code image for standalone map in fullscreen modeExport as GeoRSS
The Three Tuns Inn

loading map - please wait...

The Three Tuns Inn 52.494596, -2.996929 The Three Tuns InnAKA The New Club