The White Hart Inn / The Green Man Inn

1685? – 1814?

1 Salop Street

As a pub name ‘The White Hart’ goes back to the decree of Richard II (1377-99), requiring all pubs to display a sign – the white hart was part of his livery. So many pubs adopted this name that it almost became the generic name for pub!

A Lease document at the Shropshire Archives shows an exchange of The White Hart Inn in 1685 and it is also mentioned in Earl of Powis Rental documents of 1794, as “The White Hart, tenant Edward Home, owner Lord Clive”. A survey and map 1796 of Walcot properties shows the reference (Fm) for the position and name of a “house called the White Hart “, where Edward Home is tenant paying £12 yearly.

An 1814 Rent book records “The Green Man, late White Hart Inn, near the Market House, tenant John Home, owner Earl of Powis” indicating a recent change of tenant and pub name.

It is also listed in the 1809 Pew Sitters plan for the church as “pew 10 in the south aisle, Earl of Powis for Green Man Inn” paradoxically recalling in church records this pagan myth.

By 1822 it had become the White Horse Inn, but no records have been found for either name between 1814 (Green Man), up to 1822 (White Horse). It is interesting to speculate on the reasons for two name changes in less than 30 years.

Research is continuing on this Pub. Do you have any information or pictures of any of the pubs of Bishop’s Castle? We’d love to hear from you. Contact us here.

Map and text images reproduced with the consent of the Trustees of the Powis Castle Estate.

Open standalone map in fullscreen modeCreate QR code image for standalone map in fullscreen modeExport as GeoRSS
The White Horse Inn

loading map - please wait...

The White Horse Inn 52.494817, -2.997052 The White Horse InnAKA: The White Hart Inn and The Green Man